Monday, November 30, 2009

New Media Literacies: Response + Research


After watching the New Media Literacies video, a lot of thoughts began running through my head. First, I like the idea of these "skills". I think that these are things that some people already do, and they are just not aware of it. I think this video really puts these things into perspective. I think the most important skill of all of these is probably negotiation, with judgment as a close second. The reason I think negotiation is the most important is because you cannot look up anything without first knowing how to look through the internet to find it. After that, you need to be able to judge as to whether or not that source is reliable. I think the ones I possess currently are: judgment, negotiation, collective intelligence, visualization and multitasking. Acquiring the others will come with practice and experience.

I decided to research the New Media Literacies website, to explore what resources they have available. I noticed immediately their Delicious section, where they have several interesting bookmarks available, such as: 100 Best Blogs for New Media Students, a Wall Street Journal article called, "How to Fix our Education System", and many others.

The other part of the website I explored was the "Strategy Guides" section. Here you will find a guide on how to use the collaborative structure of the internet when reading/discussing books. This type of learning eliminates the standards of academia (i.e., the teachers are the experts and the students are the novices). This process allows students and teachers alike to gather sources and ideas about the same topic in their own way. It pushes for collaborative "reading" and open discussion of ideas and critiques. I thought it was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment