Tuesday, December 1, 2009

At The Teacher's Desk


I like this blog. It is a professional blog that, in my opinion, gives us an abstract view on topics relating to education. After browsing around, I found a few posts that I really found interesting.

The first post I viewed was called Scary Statistics. It basically showed that girls tend to do better in a scholastic environment than boys. I compares males and females in suspension, expulsion, suicide, college attendance, college graduates, and many more. The question then arises, how do we make school a more successful place for boys? Well, frankly I do not know. I was simply unaware that the statistics were so staggering.

Another post I watched/read was Michael Fawcett's (I think that's how you spell it) video discussing his experience with his PLN. It was very inspiring to take my PLN as far as I can! He and Dr. Strange alike have really showed me how a PLN can only help you grow in your profession.

How Do I Know I Am Not Just Being Selfish?
Very interesting post. Mr. C asks us the question, "Are we pushing too hard a technology agenda, or are we simply trying to catch up with the world outside our walls?" I say NO Mr. C! You and others like you are not pushing too hard! I think you are simply just the forerunners of a technological revolution that I am more than excited to see! I personally think that education is desperately in need up catching up. I would love to see more teachers advocating the use of all of these tools that I have learned about this semester.

Using Skype to Connect ESOL Students with Foreign Language Students
Another great post! I love this blog! This one gave me a lot to think about when it comes to Skyping. Mr. C gives some great advice on how to optimize your Skyping experience. I will have to take this into account when Skyping family and friends in Germany this summer. Some of the things he talks about are: Having reasonable speakers to help clarify the audio, using a projector to make the video easier to see for a class, and do a practice call to work out the bugs. He also gave a few good links to some software you can use to record the Skype. Great stuff! Here is the permalink.

No comments:

Post a Comment