Tuesday, December 1, 2009

EDM 310: A summary of new discoveries and adventures


This class has quite possibly put more thoughts, questions and ideas in my head than any other class so far. I learned A LOT from this class. The things we learned here were practical, both as a professional and for someone who simply wants to broaden their horizons a little. So let me try and list all of the things I found most helpful in this class.

The blog. Something that I really never thought I would have. It is something that I have grown to enjoy. The professional blog is especially helpful because I can use it to collaborate with professors and, in the future, fellow teachers. Twitter is something that I am new to as well. I recently linked my phone to my Twitter profile, so expect more Tweets from me! I have downloaded Picasa to my computer, and use it to organize and edit the videos and photos on my computer. I love how it does the organizing for me! Podcasting is another thing that I have begun to use as well. I have subscribed to several podcasts, both for personal and professional interests. As far as the posts I read throughout this semester, they are the reason I even have a Personal Learning Network. They have introduced me to some very talented and extraordinary people. Comments4kids was an assignment that I found very rewarding. It allowed me to experience the joy in seeing a student take an idea and make it their own, and succeed! iTunesU was another thing I was introduced to in this class. It is also a part of my PLN. I can connect and watch the lectures of professors of History at some of the best colleges in the country! This will be a tool that I know I will use regularly. I learned this semester that Google offers much more than just a search engine. With a little help from Dr. Strange, I found myself creating forms, presentations and more with Google Docs. I can keep track of all of the websites and blogs I follow with Google Reader. I have been able to take a tour of the oceans of Google Earth. As far as the class itself, I have a few questions required for this post I must answer.

2. No. I thought this class was extremely thorough and very eye opening!
3. To be honest, I will try and block Foliotek out as much as possible.
4. Yes it did. The whole idea of technology, collaboration and connectivity with educators worldwide excites me! I could have never been able to accomplish all of the things I have this semester without this course.
5. Not really. All you need for this class is the will to discover, learn and use.
6. I was only bored when I was filling out all of the forms that showed up in my Google Docs.
7. I would love for this course to be entirely web based! Other than that, I liked this class very much.
8. I think I am much more literate than I have ever been. To give it a degree, I would say I am "Good". I will never be "Great", because that would mean I couldn't learn anything else!
9. By continuing to use the tools I learned about, expanding my PLN, keeping in touch with my new found friends and always looking into and exploring new technology as it arises!

1 comment:

  1. This class was surely an eye opener for me as well! Very useful as an educator and as a regular person wanting to learn new things!

    ReplyDelete